2019-2020 Lower and Middle School
Oak Hall School maintains an official standard of dress, complete with a school uniform that must be worn every day in the Lower and Middle Schools and a dress code which must be followed in the Upper School. Students should be properly attired from the students’ arrival on campus until the end of the school day, and their overall appearance should be neat, clean, and well-groomed. Our expectation is that parents and guardians are responsible for ensuring student compliance with the school’s dress code, and students are responsible for knowing the student dress code and for complying during school hours and school activities. Violations of this policy will be reported to their respective office. The acceptability of attire not specifically covered in this policy should be referred to school administration.
While on campus, the following expectations apply:
· Students are required to arrive on campus properly and neatly attired.
· Required Oak Hall School uniform items must be purchased from the approved Lands’ End school site at landsend.com. Oak Hall School’s code is (Middle School) 900075250 (Lower School) 900065376.. A limited number of uniform pieces will be available through the school store.
· Uniforms are required to be worn as the manufacturer intended. Oversized or undersized clothes are not in uniform.
· Underwear may not be visible at any time.
· For students in the Lower School, outerwear should be clearly marked with the child’s name.
· Uniforms are required to be in good repair and unaltered.
· Shirts and blouses must be tucked in at all times; only the first button may be unbuttoned.
· Only plain white short-sleeved or sleeveless undershirts may be worn.
· Middle School students must wear athletic or dress shoes with a back and must wear athletic shoes during PE class. Lower School students must wear athletic shoes at all times.
Hooded sweatshirts, including athletic team wear, are not allowed during the school day.
· Hats, caps, and hooded jackets may be worn during inclement weather only and must be removed upon entering a school building.
· Appropriate Spirit Day attire is outlined below.
Hair must be clean, well-maintained, and of a naturally occurring color and style. Hair must be kept away from one’s eyes. Boys’ hair must be kept off the collar during school hours.
Jewelry and Accessories
· Jewelry and accessories are acceptable as long as they do not distract from the learning environment.
· Smart watches are not permitted in the Lower or Middle School.
· Earrings in the lobes of the ears is acceptable, as long as the style is not distracting. Lower School students should wear stud earrings only; dangly or hoop earrings are not allowed due to safety concerns. Boys may not wear earrings
· Coordinating hair accessories may be worn.
· No body piercing, nose studs, nose rings, or tattoos, including temporary or stickers, may be visible at any time.
Coats and Jackets
Burgundy or Gray full-zip or half-zip fleece jacket or vest, or letterman jacket. Jackets need to have an embroidered logo. Uniform jackets should be purchased at Land’s End.
Oak Hall team and club wear
· Any jacket or fleece that meets the following requirements may be worn during the school day:
· They must be purchased at Lands’ End or the school store.
· They must be embroidered or printed with the approved Oak Hall logo.
· The only hooded item allowed in our uniform is a hooded rain jacket during inclement weather.
Types of Dress
Types of Dress Days: There are three different dress days: Regular Uniform (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday); Spirit Day (Friday); and Dress Day (special events).
This is any combination of regulation uniform pieces including khaki or gray shorts, khaki or gray pants, approved shirts, khaki, gray, or plaid skirts/skorts/jumpers*, white oxford shirt, sweater or sweater vest, and one of three jacket options. *Jumpers are approved for Lower School students only.
Boys – Dress slacks, dress shirt, tie, belt, and dress shoes.
Girls – Dress, skirt and blouse, or dress slacks with a blouse and dress shoes.
Dress on this day will consist of an Oak Hall t-shirt, Oak Hall team or club shirt, long-sleeve shirt, or crew sweatshirt with a uniform skirt, skort, pants, or shorts.
At times, the Division Head may announce special Spirit Days, which may include the ability to wear PE issued shorts or sweatpants.
Pants or Shorts
Regulation khaki or gray pants or shorts.
Regulation khaki, gray, or plaid skirt, skort, or jumper (Lower School only). Privacy shorts or shorts that cover undergarments are required under skirts or jumpers.
Knit/Active Polo or Oxford Shirt
Burgundy, Soapstone, White, or Navy long- or short-sleeved knit shirt/active dry shirt or white long or short-sleeved Oxford shirt with mandatory Oak Hall School logo embroidered. Only the top button may be unbuttoned.
Only plain white short-sleeved or sleeveless undershirts may be worn.
Solid burgundy or gray embroidered v-neck sweater vest or long-sleeved crew neck with mandatory school logo. A uniform shirt with a collar must be worn underneath sweaters.
Oak Hall crew neck sweatshirts may be purchased through the school store. A uniform shirt with a collar must be worn underneath sweatshirts. Hooded sweatshirts may not be worn.
Burgundy or Gray full-zip or half-zip fleece jacket or vest with mandatory school logo or letterman jacket. Uniform jackets should be purchased at Land’s End.
Regulation dark brown or black solid belt.
In the Lower School, athletic shoes must be worn daily.
In the Middle School, athletic or dress shoes with a back must be worn daily. Athletic shoes are required for the PE period.
Socks must be worn with athletic shoes and may be white or black. Sock length should be ankle or mid-calf.
Solid gray or navy tights may be worn under uniform bottoms.
Athletes may wear game day attire, as approved by the Athletic Director, along with uniform khaki pants or shorts (except on Dress Day). No hoods are allowed.
Students in grades 4-8 are required to wear a PE uniform during PE.
Tuition includes two shirts and two shorts for each child. During colder weather, students must wear the approved PE uniform, but will have the option of wearing a school approved sweatshirt/sweatpants over their uniform. Additional uniforms, sweatshirts, and sweatpants will be available for purchase in the school store after the beginning of the school year.
PE Uniforms will be given out on the first day of school. Please contact Edwin McTureous for any additional questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note that all items except shoes, socks, belt, and P.E. uniforms must be purchased from Land’s End. A limited quantity of uniform items will be available in the bookstore.